Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Retaliation



Hello all!!!!

What a week!!!  I have some good stories this week. Maybe they are "you had to be there" stories but I think they are funny.

To start with if you have ever wondered what missionaries do in their spare time read 1 Nephi 11: 10, 15, 23   in that order (don’t read the verses in between). One day elder Dias was sitting at his desk and he said, "I have decided the scriptures contain all.  It has my number one wish!"  It was really funny as we all sat there and read it and said dang I want that too!
 
    10 And he said unto me: What desirest thou?
    15 And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.
    23 And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most a 
joyous to the soul.
One night this week an Elder came home and his family had a dinner to celebrate and the whole ward came and it started with a opening hymn and prayer then the Dad talked, then the Mom talked, then the Elder gave his testimony then they had a slide show (which had the song another summer day has come and gone away in Paris or Rome I want to go home.... yeah that will make your trunky...) and then ends with a closing hymn and prayer it was a new experience for me!  Very fun.

This week we were sitting on the bus and these two women got on wearing the exact same clothes I was like, "Elder look that so weird!!"  He just stopped looked and me and said, "Elder look at us...." that was an “OH yeah” moment for me! You could say I felt pretty stupid!

Last P-day I forgot to mention that we got woken up at 5 AM by the ward clerk asking for our baptismal records. Now for those of you who know me 5 AM is not a good time, and on p-day it is an even worse time, to be awake.   And also here in Brasil the sun is already up so it is close to impossible to fall back asleep so we weren’t too happy the rest of the day and then on Sunday this same man who has been a member for a YEAR! Got up in gospel essentials and said the Lord’s Prayer as his closing prayer.....   Now when you just explained to your investigators that we aren’t the Catholic Church this can be a very confusing thing for them.  Ah what a great adventure a mission is here in Brasil!

I also found out yesterday that here in Brasil they teach that we only have six continents!! Six!  South America and North America are one!  That just blew my mind that they teach that in school.

Yesterday it rained really hard while we’re teaching kids and after we started walking to another appointment and the kids followed us and as all kids do they were splashing each other in the puddles which reminded me of the carefree days and without thinking (like most 19 year olds) I started splashing them too.  They laughed and thought it was so fun but I forgot about the retaliation part of being a kid and two seconds later they managed to have me soaked head to toe... it was quite the day!!!  A lot of fun and I learned a valuable lesson about getting kids wet!

Also I was reading in my missionary hand book and I found out fireworks are not allowed so I would like to apologize to everyone for my very greeny mistake and let everyone know I am trying to repent! Thank you.

Oh speaking of greeny mistakes I forgot my tag on Sunday!  I think instead of progressing in the mission I am digressing!  It was a very tragic day!  I had to borrow the tag of Elder Dias and everyone thought I was Mexican.....

Well this week was amazing and I love being here!   Next week is transfers so if I don’t write next Tuesday you will know why!  I love you all and hope all is well in the States!

Love,
Elder Mender  

No comments: