Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Did Not Get Deported


Mitch with President and Sister Toledo

February Missionaries in Salvador, Brazil

Mitch at Airport meeting President Toledo

Meeting their Trainers

We think this is Mitch's Trainer??


Hey All,

What a great week!! Sorry I didn’t get to email yesterday but we had to travel to Salvador yesterday so I could become legal here in Brazil! Needless to say we are so tired today but excited that I didn’t get deported. :)

Well why was this week such a great week?  Because I'm on a mission!!!  Yesterday while we were in Salvador I was sitting in the mission office and I picked up a church newspaper. Some random paper from last November and as I read it I was taught by the spirit and remembered a few reasons why I came on a mission.  I want to share some of the thoughts i had with you.

Sorry my letter today will not be as funny as usual but these topics are important to me and I hope to convey my thoughts to you as well.

The paper was on service:  in it every article I read touched my heart.  One was about a celebration President Monson had to honor young women leaders of old some of the things these women did in the church were amazing!  There was a quote from president Hinckley about how we need to give the youth road shows and dances and parts in plays and not rob them of these special opportunities and i thought about how as I was a kid I watched those road shows and wanted so bad to take part in one but never got to.  And i realized that is one reason why I am here in Brazil, why leaders of this church are so important especially local to give these kids opportunities that will strengthen their lives and testimonies!  I want so bad for these kids that I am serving to know the joy that comes from living the gospel principles, the joy that comes from having good friends, and the joy that comes from participating in wholesome activities!  The youth of this church are so important and so often we rob them of priceless moments because we look beyond the mark.  How simple it is to put a smile on their faces.

Another article was about how service makes us happy! It was a study done by a BYU teacher and how as we sacrifice our time to serve we find greater happiness and even though it was applied to youth I know it can apply to all of us.    The easiest way to happiness brothers and sisters is to forget you and go to work. SERVE!!!  It is simple, it can be hard, but it is so worth it!   I am so grateful for the chance I had to grow up in a family that taught me how important service is. I'm grateful for the example of my dad, mom, and brothers all of whom helped strengthen my testimony of service as a young child.  I know the truly we can only be happy when we help others.  Has Christ not promised us that when we clothe the naked, feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, and comfort to the lonely we do it unto him!  Who would refuse to help Christ? Then why refuse to help others. This life is not a time for us to become millionaires but to prepare to meet God.   I know why I am here in Brazil to bring the world its truth and to help my Savior find his sheep and feed, clothe, and comfort his children.

The last article I want to talk about was one about the scripture in doctrine and covenants that was given to Oliver Cowdry about him remembering the night the Lord spake peace unto his mind. The article applied it to a missionary who is having a hard time with the language and reads it and finds comfort remembering that special night when the lord spake peace unto him.  I know that we are ALL entitled this sacred experience and if you have not had it i encourage you to search diligently with faith, and real intent and then when you receive that peace to never forget it for it truly will be a sacred and sustaining experience throughout your life as it was for Oliver and is for me and millions of people around the world.

I give my testimony that this is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Christ is at its Head.  God lives.  The atonement is real, powerful and perfect.   I know that as we follow the simple promises of the Lord we will be blessed as we learn to serve others and not worry about how hard our life is now we will find eternal joy. It is my hope and my prayer that we all might come to knowledge of these eternal truths through prayer, scripture study, attending church, and applying them in our lives.

I love you all and hope the best for you!  Because even if your not in Brazil having the best time in world i still love you. :)


Love,

Elder Mender

P.S. in the MTC and from bishops I've heard the more you work in the rain and heat the prettier your wife gets.... I figure my wife is probably working for some modeling company right now.


No comments: